Whether you’re visiting NuWay for the first time or are looking to understand our process a little better, we’re happy to help answer all the questions you have.
We are a proud member of the Better Business Bureau, as well as an accredited member of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association and the Alberta Floor Covering Association (AFCA). COR certified, we’re dedicated to the ongoing education and training of all of our employees and work hard to keep up with advancements in our industry in safety standards, new products/materials or new installation technologies.
We also make sure that each and every one of our customers is well informed about the proper maintenance techniques required to care for their newly installed floor. We understand that flooring is a big investment and we want to make sure that you get the most value for your money. That’s why we provide guidance on the right cleaning products to use with your products and offer valuable tips for keeping it in great condition.
The first thing you should take in account is your lifestyle and how the flooring will be impacted. If you have pets or young children, you’ll want a durable and easy to clean option. From there you can consider the look and feel that you are going for, you’ll also want to consider the type and size of the room, the mood that you’re trying to create.
Once you know the answers to these things, we can help narrow it down and find the best options for your home.
You can stop by our Calgary showroom anytime you like during business hours. You don’t need an appointment to browse, and our in-house designers are always happy to help.
Our friendly designers are experts in all the latest floor trends. They can help you choose a style that perfectly coordinates with your current home’s interior or even help you come up with an entirely new look.
Installing flooring is a complicated and time-consuming process. It requires expert skills and knowledge to get the job done properly. What might seem like an easy DIY job that you can handle yourself can quickly spiral into a huge project that keeps growing in cost and complexity. There’s also a chance that by doing it yourself you’ll void your manufacturer’s warranty.
Hiring professional installers is well worth the expense. They’ll get your floor in quickly and efficiently and you’ll get the look you want with none of the difficulties associated with trying to do it yourself. You’ll also be protected by an intact warranty.
Your house isn’t out of a box and your window coverings shouldn’t be either! All window fashions we sell, and install, are custom manufactured to the exact dimensions of the window.
All of our installers are Master-Certified by Hunter Douglas for quality assurance that all products look great and function correctly.
If you have solid hardwood floors, it is very important that you keep the humidity stable. With Calgary’s dry climate, it’s more important to have a humidifier. You need to keep the humidity in your house at around 40 per cent to protect and prolong the life of your solid hardwood floors.
On the other hand, engineered hardwood floors, are more resistant to moisture so a humidifier or dehumidifier may not be required. Your sales person will confirm details based on the exact product chosen.
You can use a dry cloth to mop any spills as soon as they happen. Never use a wet mop or steam cleaner on laminate floors. Instead, use a dry mop and a cleanser that it is specially formulated for use on laminate flooring.
Maintenance is the key to protecting your investment and making sure that your flooring lasts for years and years. Here are a few things you can do to keep your floor in tip-top shape:
- Clean regularly — Clean your floor tiles with a small amount of water only. Check with your manufacturer before applying a cleansing agent to avoid damaging your tile.
- Welcome the use of mats — Place mats at every exterior door to minimize the amount of dirt and debris that gets brought into your home.
- Use protective pads — Apply protective felt to the bottom of all furniture legs to prevent wear and damage to your floors.
You’ll need to take care of your carpet if you want it to last. Carpeting is a major investment for any home or business owner and a little bit of maintenance can go a long way. Be sure to:
- Avoid spilling anything on your carpet
- Thoroughly vacuum carpets at least once per week with the right vacuum
- Have your carpets professionally cleaned every 12-18 months
Hardwood floors are quite easy to maintain and will keep their beautiful finish for years when properly cared for. For some easy maintenance tips, check out the following list of dos and don’ts:
- Sweep or vacuum regularly to remove any dirt and debris that could scratch the floor.
- Wipe up spills immediately.
- Put a welcome mat on the inside and outside of every exterior door to prevent dirt from being tracked into the house.
- Place felt floor protectors on the feet of all your furniture.
- Take care to protect the floor when moving furniture.
- Maintain between 30-50% humidity in your home at all times.
- Use cleaning products specially designed for safe use on hardwood floors.
- Don’t use carpets/mats with rubber backing because they trap dirt, debris and moisture, which can damage the floor.
- Don’t drag heavy pieces of furniture across the bare floor.
- Try to avoid exposing your floor to too much sunlight, this can cause fading in light-coloured finishes.
- Never use harsh cleaners on your floor. For example, vinegar is a great household cleaner, but it should never be used on hardwood flooring, as it can damage the surface.
- Don’t use a wet mop to clean up, the excess water can damage the floor.
Laminate and LVT/LVP flooring products are made to last when cared for correctly. Here are a few tips for getting the most from your flooring:
- Wipe up spills immediately. This really applies to every floor type but is especially important if you have laminate flooring.
- Place mats on the inside and outside of all of your exterior doors to prevent dust and dirt from being tracked into your house.
- Never use abrasive cleaners or powders.
- Avoid using vinegar to clean your floor, it can dull the surface.
- Use furniture pads to protect the floor from scratches and dents.
Resilient flooring products like LVT/LVP and laminate are an excellent investment. Long lasting, low maintenance and available in many different styles, these floors are sure to enhance the beauty of any space.
All Hunter Douglas blinds are backed by a limited lifetime warranty. With the best warranty in the business you can feel assured, knowing that any defect or problem with your blinds will be corrected promptly.
We offer a variety of flooring services and products with hundreds of looks and styles for you to choose from including tile, cork, carpet, wood products, LVP and LVT, wall coverings, soft interiors and Hunter Douglas blinds.
There are a number of flooring types to choose from, all of which have a variety of options within them:
- Carpet offers an unparalleled level of comfort. We are proud to carry top quality carpets from the most trusted brands in the industry.
- Tile flooring is an extremely durable option that comes in many materials, finishes and sizes to choose from. With tile you’ll be sure to find the exact the look you want.
- Wood flooring offers a classic look that can truly withstand the test of time. Choose from a wide variety of natural and engineered wood flooring products.
- LVP/LVT is among our most popular choices. They are highly resilient to damage, water and wear and can be used throughout the house.
- Laminate flooring is cost effective while durable and easy to maintain. It’s available in a wide variety of styles to suit any room.
- Cork flooring is an innovative and environmentally friendly option. It retains heat well and is very comfortable and quiet to walk on. While many are quick to envision a corkboard, cork flooring is anything but boring and comes in a variety of styles and colours.
Certain types of flooring can be used anywhere, while others are optimized for use in specific rooms. Here are a few examples:
- Bathroom – If there is one room in the house that needs special attention, it’s the bathroom. The flooring has to be suited for wet, humid conditions and regular exposure to water. Choose from tiles, LVT/LVP or vinyl for maximum durability and water resistance.
- Kitchen – The flooring in the kitchen needs to be strong enough to handle heavy foot traffic, heat, frequent spills and changes in humidity. Vinyl, laminate, hardwood, tile and LVT/LVP flooring are great options for the kitchen. You’ll want to avoid flooring materials like natural carpets.
- Living Room – In the living room you can choose whichever option you like best. Because the temperature is stable and there is minimal exposure to moisture, the floor fashion you choose for your living room should be all about your comfort and personal style.
- Basement – Depending on how consistant the temperature is, you can choose most types of flooring for your basement. But if your basement experiences drastic changes in temperature from season to season, avoid installing a wood floor which will expand and contract as the temperature rises and falls.
Bathrooms require flooring that can withstand high levels of moisture and constant exposure to water. Not all floor types are suitable for these conditions.
Choose water-resistant options like tiles, luxury vinyl tiles (LVT) or luxury vinyl planks (LVP) for a beautiful look that will last for years to come. Sheet options are also available and when properly sealed to protect them from water damage, they are highly durable.
When professionally installed and sealed, linoleum can also stand up well to water and moisture and comes in an impressive array of finishes.
Laminate flooring is highly versatile and can be installed in any dry location in your home. Extended exposure to moisture can cause warping in some laminate products, so it is best to keep laminate out of the bathroom or other rooms where water will be an issue.
There’s a reason that floor tiles have always been a popular choice for homeowners and businesses alike. Floor tiles are:
- Water resistant
- Easy to maintain
- Allergan resistant
- Available in a variety of designs
The word “tile” encompasses many different materials. Here is a glimpse into our selection of tile which includes:
- Travertine — A byproduct of hot springs, travertine is a type of limestone. Travertine tiles all have their own unique pattern, giving you a truly one-of-a-kind floor.
- Ceramic — Made from natural clay and minerals, ceramic tile comes in a vast selection of colours, shapes, sizes and finishes. Ceramic tile is strong and durable enough to use for commercial or residential use.
- Porcelain — Made by heating refined clay, porcelain tiles can be used indoors or out, and come in a wide selection of styles and finishes.
- Faux wood — Mimicking the look of natural wood, faux wood tiles come in ceramic and porcelain. With a number of different styles available, faux wood tiles are gaining popularity because they last much longer than real wood.
- Slate — Slate is a type of metamorphic rock that’s found all over world. Great for indoor use, a wide range of colours are available.
- Marble — A classic choice with an elegant appeal. A very soft product that is not durable and that stains and scratches easily.
- Granite — Solidified lava or magma. What could be more beautiful? Its colour has a natural richness that’s sure to add value to any space.
- Pebble and stone — Imagine a beautiful, naturally pebbled beach. Now imagine that same natural beauty inside your home. Gorgeous.
Think tile is just for floor? Well, not anymore. It’s a great way to add some excitement to otherwise boring surfaces around your home.
- Fireplace surroundings – An attractive, modern and affordable alternative to using masonry around your fireplace.
- Backsplash – Not only does it transform the boring space between your countertops and upper cabinets into something interesting, tile backsplashes also make clean up much easier.
- Table-top – Give an old table a facelift with a new tile top. Square or rectangular tables are the easiest to tile since you only need to make straight cuts.
- Mirror frame – Applying tile around the edges of a mirror gives it an attractive and unique frame.
- Feature wall – Tile adds texture and permanence to a feature wall – a depth you simply can’t achieve with wallpaper alone.
It’s no secret that carpet offers unparalleled comfort but that’s not all it has to offer. Some advantages of carpet are:
- Comfort — When you’re walking around barefoot, there’s really nothing more comfortable on your toes than carpet. It’s soft and fuzzy and gentle on your feet.
- Warmth — Treat yourself to the natural warmth that only carpet can offer. Having a carpet in your home can increase insulation and heat retention in the winter, saving you money in heating costs year after year.
- Health — With smooth flooring surfaces, dust and allergens are stirred up and circulated through the air every time someone walks through the room. With carpet, dust and allergens are trapped until they can be safely vacuumed up, keeping the air you breathe clean.
- Safety — Carpet can help prevent slips and cushion falls. For seniors and families with young children, this can be an important reason to opt for carpet over harder, more slippery surfaces.
- Sound-proofing — The insulating properties of carpet don’t just affect your heating bill; they also help to make your home more sound-proof. Carpeting cuts down on noise, which is helpful when you live in an apartment or if you have young children running about.
- Aesthetics — Your interior design should be a reflection of your own unique personality. To achieve just the right look, we offer a dazzling array of colours, styles and textures for you to choose from.
- Affordable — On average, carpeting is much less expensive than many other popular flooring materials.
Carpets are mainly categorized by their cut, weight and fiber type. You can choose between wall-to-wall carpeting or carpet tiles. Fiber type is the biggest determining factor in how the carpet will look, feel and cost. The most common carpet fibers are:
- SmartStrand Forever Clean — The only carpet to offer full protection on all accidents no matter what pet you have.
- Nylon — The most popular choice. Nylon is inexpensive, durable and available in a variety of colours.
- Olefin — A strong fiber that is fade and mold resistant. Often used outdoors because it’s not comfortable for bare feet.
- Polyester — Can be inexpensive and soft but isn’t suited for high traffic areas.
- Wool — Soft, comfortable and durable. Wool is the most expensive fiber option, but it’s stain and dirt resistant and completely natural.
In addition to adding beauty, sophistication and elegance to your home, hardwood floors also have the benefit of being:
- Easy to install
- A great investment for the value of your home
- Easy to clean and care for
- Strong and durable
- Can be restored
- Allergen and mould resistant
- And available in a wide variety of finishes and widths
Hardwood floors hold their value over their lifespan and can even increase the resale value of your home should you decide to sell in the future.
One of the many advantages of hardwood flooring is the incredible variety that it offers. At NuWay Floors & Interiors, there are literally hundreds of different looks and finishes to choose from. You’ll be able to find the colour, tone and richness of wood finish that you’ve been looking for.
You can also choose between solid wood flooring products or engineered wood flooring.
- Solid wood flooring — Cut from single pieces of wood, solid wood boards can be sanded and refinished many times over and can last for years when well maintained.
- Engineered wood flooring — Made from several layers of wood and adhesive firmly pressed together, these boards are stronger and more moisture resistant than solid wood but can’t be sanded and refinished as many times.
The choice of finish is really a matter of personal taste. There are many different finishes to choose from so it’s possible to get exactly the look and feel that you are going for when selecting a wood floor.
Our design team is happy to work with you to find out what will work best in your home.
Yes. We carry fashionable flooring options from many trusted brands that are working hard to make environmental sustainability a priority.
Laminate floors and LVT/LVP are similar in a lot of ways, and the terms are often used interchangeably, but they’re actually very different products. They’re made using different materials and manufacturing methods and also need to be installed differently.
For example, laminate flooring is made with alternating layers of high-density fiberboard and adhesive, whereas LVT/LVP is made with PVC vinyl. LVT/LVP is more flexible than laminate but both materials are classed as “resilient flooring” because they’re so strong and durable.
Price isn’t the only advantage of choosing from laminate and LVT/LVP flooring. Both also have the benefit of being:
- Easy to maintain
- Water resistant
- Highly durable
- Scratch, stain and scuff resistant
- Comfortable to stand on
- Available in a variety of styles, sizes and shapes
- Aesthetically pleasing
Window treatments play an integral part in your home’s overall energy consumption, keeping the interior of your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Key advantages are:
- Insulation – Quality Hunter Douglas window blinds provide added insulation from the incursion of seasonal temperature extremes, slowing the loss of heat out of your windows during the winter months and keeping the cool air inside where it belongs during the summer. Match your blinds with curtains or drapes that provide superior energy efficiency and you will notice a difference in your energy bills.
- Solar Heat Control – Summer sunlight can have an insidious effect on energy costs because it raises the temperature of whatever surface it falls upon, heating the inside air and causing your cooling system to work harder. Conversely, during the winter season sunlight can supplement home heating systems and lower heating costs. Window coverings should be left open during sunny winter days but left closed when it’s cloudy to prevent heat loss through the window.
- Daylighting – Depending upon the time of year and local weather conditions, sunshine entering your home could have a harsh and glaring appearance, an effect that can be alleviated with the use of window treatments, blinds or shades. The right application or combination of window treatments can diffuse sunlight naturally to provide illumination and reduce the need for artificial lighting sources.
- Ultraviolet (UV) Protection – The ultraviolet (UV) rays contained in direct sunlight can have a debilitating effect on your home and its contents, fading and damaging furniture and upholstery, books and artwork, wood floors, carpeting and more. When used correctly, window treatments are very effective in blocking damaging UV rays and can keep out as much as 95 – 100% of harmful UV rays in the closed position.
We have access to the entire Hunter Douglas suite of products, including the Alustra collection, a line that is exclusive to select dealers in Calgary. These quality window coverings are created using the most unique fabrics and adorned with distinctive details. It is a collection for those who are seeking the best in design.
Hunter Douglas blinds in Calgary provide many benefits, and they come in a range of contemporary, classic and economical styles. Our most sought-after styles are Silhouette® shadings and honeycomb blinds. The Silhouette® shadings combine the benefits of both shades and blinds to provide you with the perfect levels of lighting and protection, while the honeycomb come in a great selection of fabrics and offer high energy efficiency.
For an economical, classic and clean look that works in any room in your home, we recommend the Hunter Douglas roller shades. They combine ease and simplicity while still offering hundreds of fabric choices to match the décor in any room. Roller shades can also come in varying levels of opacity for minimal yet sophisticated light control.
Hunter Douglas has been a recognized brand since 1956, offering a wide selection of products that meets the needs of both homeowners and businesses while also focusing their products on energy efficiency. From that time onward, Hunter Douglas has been committed to setting the standard for innovation and quality.
Still have questions? We’re happy to chat and help answer all your questions.